Monday, March 29, 2010

Jamie Oliver's Chicken Finger test

So the StrollerFit moms were all over the premiere and 2nd episode of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution.  We discussed the chicken finger test he did and how the kids were grossed out by the bones, guts and extra skin used to make the frozen chicken nuggets, but in the end they were still willing to eat them.  Scott and I were discgusted and, I now know why I make my own.  They are so easy to do.

Take boneless chicken breasts cut them into nuggets or strips, I usually do stips.

take in a bowl use an egg or egg whites and mix to use as a binder

in a second bowl add bread crumbs (I use seasoned panko-japaneese bread crumbs for added crunch) or crushed corn flakes.

I place mine on a wire rack sprayed with pam on a lined cookie sheet for added crunch on both sides, but you can bake on a parchment paper lined or sprayed cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrrees for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

I make a large batch at once and freeze them in bags with 4 or 5 in a bag, just enough for a serving for both kids.

So last week I said I would keep track of the kids food, and I did but it was a crazy week and I did not get it on the blog.  Joey and Julianna ate a lot of yokids squeeze yogurt.  I use to buy the stoney field squeeze yogurt but can not find them lately and he likes the squeezies as he calls them.  I happened to read the package and I am sure I read it before, but some of the flavors have High Fructose Corn Syrup, some do not.  So I am going to try to locate the stoney fields again, and be careful if I by the yoplait to look at the flavors and only buy the ones without the HFC.  they still have coloring and preservatives, but this is still a better option then some of the other stuff they couls eat.

Joey at fruit leather, all natural, no additives or preservatives, can find in walmart, but better selection and cheaper at trader joes.  They both ate dried fruit and nuts, cherrios, pb&j (homemade jelly from our fruit picking last summer, it freezes well) on  sandwich thins, grill cheese on whole wheat bread, chicken, apples, carrots, celery with pb, wild rice, shrimp, potatos, salad with dip (a little low fat dressing that I made), pancakes with real maple syrup, and lots of milk and water with a little juice.  They had low fat fudgcicles a few nights, joey had a few lollipops and some of the candy from easter egg hunting, but over all they eat healthy.  He did snack on rice crispy treats that we made from scratch and had a few special k bars, but I think we are on the right track here.  Lunch & dinner for Joey was usually cereal, yogurt or what we were eating with some fruit and/or veggies.  I am glad me kids are not too pickie when it comes to food.

It is raining again and StrollerFit is back inside.  Tomorrow is a big day, Joey's First Day of scholl, YEAH!  Will try to remember to post pictures.

No comments: