Monday, March 22, 2010

Jamie Oliver's New Show "Food Revolution"

I watched the first episode of Jmie Oliver's Food Revolution and was disgusted by some of the things I saw and heard.  First ws pizza for breakfast at a elementary school.  Now I can not say I have never ha pizza or pasta for breakfast, but that was in college not kindergarten.  Then Jamie was told that each meal must have2 breads, this was a government guideline and mashed potatos met the guideline for a vegetable, last time I checked it was a starch and potato buds with oil and other additives sem to me to be more of a proceesed connconction then a food at all.

When the kids were given the choose of frozen pizza or healthy chicken and salad, what do you think they choose.  the pizza of course.  It will be interesting to see how Jamie faires in the school with the ladies that work in the cafeteria and the town as a whole.   The town he is in has been classified as the most unhealthy in the Us and the US as a country is the most unhealthy in the world, making them the most unhealhy town in the world. 

So I think about some of my favorite food issues:  High Frustose corn syrum and processed foods in general.  I havbe no problems with addititives or preservatives to a point, but too much processed foods is not good for any of us and I am happy to report both my children like fruits and vegetables and eat a pretty healthy diet.

I am vowing to my blog readers and my StrollerFit moms out there that I am going to continue to teach my kids to be healthy and to continue to read labels and try to feed my children the best food I can, which is not always easy, especially when we are on the run.

I have decided to journal for a week what my kids eat and see what changes I can make. 

So far today they have had yoplait squeeze yogurts, not the best yogurt with the food coloring and additivies but not the worst choose either.  they had dry heerios, no milk (have to o to the store) they drank the milk when they got up, and 1/2 a banana each.  Not abad start for the day.

Lets see what they eat the rest of the day.

No comments: