Saturday, June 20, 2009

Free Stuff

As a stay at home mom who controls the finances, I know the budget is tight and any extra money is saved for trips to NV to see Grandma and Papa so free stuff is always nice. I love hand me downs and never turn down toys that other kids no longer use because I know mine will love them.

Last year I got three different playschool ride in cars (you know the red one with the yellow top that we had as kids and looks like the Flintstones car since the kids use there feet to move). Scott thought I was nuts til he found out the cost of a new one. We kept one and gave 2 away to different StrollerFit moms.

We also received a Toddler bed for us and for Nate and bikes for the boys from the Monahan's and lots of hand me down clothing.

This year I am on a roll. Besides Ella and Casey's clothing for Julianna and Sean and Tyler's Stuff for Joey, we got clothing a toys from Emily and Carissa. Carlos and Jose gave Joey a bike and clothing too. I love that Joey loves things that were Tyler's (like his clothing and his kitchen which I paid $20 for and Tyler used the money for new toys that he has promised to give to Joey when he is no longer using them) and Sean's boots, which Joey can not wait to wear. But even better has been my side of the road finds.

Robyn got Joey a car to drive in the back yard. I got the $150 playschool roller coaster which is also in the back yard. One day while Robyn and I were coming back from StrollerFit, with a already full car (we had doll strollers for the kids, for them to participate in StrollerFit) we found a Rubbermaid storage box on the side of the road. We crammed the pieces under the kids legs (it is a good thing there legs are still short) and in front of Robyn and in the trunk and on the top of my luggage rack. Thank god we did not have to drive far. It is cracked, but for outdoor storage of Joey's toys it is perfect. Although, it is empty because Joey has decided to use it as a fort.

Then a few weeks later, Robyn found the kids a flexi flyer rocking horse, which the kids love, but I still need to clean it a bit.

Today was the best finds. at a bike swap, I got a double bike trailer that will hold both kids in good condition (retail new for $250-$300) for $40 and it is a donation/tax write off to the church). Then Robyn told me about a single one she saw but could not get in her car. I picked it up for her and while there got a beautiful white antique cradle for Julianna's dolls that is in beautiful condition.

Lets see what other finds we will get this summer. This is my new challenge.

No comments: