Sunday, February 8, 2009

Pondering while Joey sleeps about motherhood


It is 7:49 and I had planned to write about the Heart Healthy Challenge and that my SF moms are really getting into it, but that yesterday's Restore the core moms did not seem to care, they were there to workout and did not wear red or pink and were not competing to see who gets to class first. But instead I need to write about being a stay at home mom.

One of my SF moms sent me an email that contained an article about Stay at home moms and what we do all day.



About 4 months ago, I was told by a Moms group that I was not a stay at home mom, because I run SF, Consult when it comes my way, teach Red Cross Classes when the need arises and during the summer, teach my first love swimming. I also, had a part time job before this pregnancy for 12 hours a week. When I was told that I was not a stay at home mom I laughed. I am with Joey 24 hours a day most days, when I worked part time, he was not with a sitter, he was with dad and when I consult I am doing that from home, when he naps or while he plays at my feet, what use to take an hour make take 4 or more while I meet his needs - food, diapers, juice, trains, trucks, you name it. Yesterday it took me two hours to fold laundry, He was playing in his room and I was on a role, getting it folded and away, when he wanders in, climbs his makeshift stairs onto my bed (the humidifier in the box, and my hope chest, he is very ingenious with his stairs) and begins to take the piles and drop them into the basket on the floor where they unfold.

Then he runs threw the remaining piles, which go everywhere. He stops as I try to catch him and remind him no standing on the bed, but he did not stop because of me, he stopped to scrunch his face and then give me the Stinky p you sign, in other words, mom I just pooped. So off we went to change his diaper, then he requested books, we read 5 books, then went down for lunch. The laundry was forgotten. After lunch we played trucks and he helped me prep dinner (he threw the trash in the trash can as I made it, his way of helping me cook, at least it was only the trash going in the trash can, his friend Kasey like to trow anything she can in the trash can.)

Then I put him for a nap and decided I would lay down too, and there was the laundry, needing to be refolded and put away. Now you see why it took 2 hours to put the laundry away. After that I decided to do my mommymuscle sculpt DVD. I did arms and am feeling it today. Glad he is still sleeping so I can get my StrollerFit work done this am and maybe get a shower in.

So to the crazy women who write what do stay at home moms do, come where my shoes for a day, it is never the same, everyday has amazing surprises and I would not change it for the world. They say in your adult life time you have 7 career changes from college to retirement. Not 7 jobs, 7 careers, I think this 5 for me and I plan on keeping this career for a very long, long time!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Great post. There is no definition of "Stay at home Mom" that can describe the job. I always use the term in quotes, because it is what other people use to "label" my job, but not what I actually do. Stay home all day everyday with 2 kids - that's insane! Keep living your life the way you like it :)